Friday 12 June 2009

Hilarious day... in court

Went with one of the solicitors to court today. Turned into a full proper legal debate citing cases and McPhail. Decent sheriff will think about it for a week. Was good to be there for some proper legal stuff!

Most of the hilarity came before that though. Spent the afternoon waiting for our turn, so got to hear some classic stories about a work experience girl from school and an agent who had both tried to leave the courtroom through the wrong door, the girl going into the sheriff's chambers (!) and the agent going into a cupboard. Mental note to self - DONT DO THAT!

The solicitor I was with confessed that she'd had a small incident last week when leaving court - her gown had caught on the back of one of the swivel chairs which had whipped round and whacked an agent. Oops.

The difficult bit in court was to avoid guffawing out loud. Would be bad to face a complaint to the law society before I've even qualified. So it was a relief to escape for lunch into the canteen.

That's where the real comedy was going on, thanks to a couple of seasoned, comical and more than slightly riské criminal agents sitting at the table with us, jumping on any innuendo possible, and forcing another well known seasoned but less comical criminal agent to storm out moaning about the content of the conversation. Oops!

Am looking forward to going back next week for the outcome. But I'm not sure if I'm hurrying back for the legal content or the comedy circus. Laughter is the best medicine after all!

3 comments:

  1. keep up the good work, read every entry so far and it's been brill.

    I'll be reading your blog daily - so keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, good luck, I like your attitude --- intrigued to know where you are though. Edinburgh by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to say where I was... guess I shouldn't and it's not because I want to avoid autograph hunters! :)

    ReplyDelete