Wednesday 3 June 2009

Big day!

Lots of big things happened today.  Wonder which is the most exciting?

First was my first trip to court (tagging along as the trainee of course).  It was great, apart from having to queue with the criminals (humiliation!) because I let it slip that I was a trainee (will look out for that guard in future to blag my way straight in).  First 2 hours was vaguely interesting - not for the sorting out of the days business - which definitely wasn't - but for the ongoing negotiation between our firm and the other side.  Sadly for us they wouldn't cave and insisted the Sheriff decide.  Happily for us it was a big mistake and the sheriff - clearly a fan of reasonableness - went with our args.  Highlight of the morning was one agent's call for decree on an unpaid debt, with no defender present.  There had been an offer to pay the £1200 outstanding at £150 a month- not good enough for the finance company who wanted the lot.  Despite no defender, the Sheriff took the initiative and said "Thats a bit mean ... you're not getting it".  Nicely said.

Next big thing was getting my fill of stationery.  The girls in that department must like me because I got good stuff that nobody else has!

Spoke to my first witness too, taking a phone precognition.  The tricky bit was remembering to do the attendance note for my 24 minutes :) 

Following on from it was one thing I had been dreading - doing my first dictation.  Actually it was easy!  And it led to... my first feeing!  The firm makes plenty off each page of the precognition.  Suspect today will be enough to pay my weeks wages.  Thats assuming the dictation was as easy as I thought.  I'm half anticipating a testy note from the typists.

May have made a slight error of judgement.  In my enthusiasm I emailed my department offering my services just now to do precognitions.  Various people have now told me to watch out as I'm likely to be utterly overwhelmed!

No comments:

Post a Comment