Sunday 16 August 2009

New trainee

I'm not the newbie any more - one new trainee has started and there's another coming soon. Although I'm only a few months ahead of them, because I've passed the basic hurdle of getting used to the system, and have (hopefully) shown the office I can cope with the things that are thrown at me, I've been told that I may as well be a whole year ahead of them. It's a perception thing. At least, thats the experience of last year's trainees!

I am beginning to feel that I'm covering a fair spread of what I might eventually be doing, apart from, of course, being allowed to open my mouth in court! At the beginning I was excited by the tasks I was being given. Whilst they seem basic compared to some of the more technical legal activities which I've been trusted with, the importance of a good basic precognition is only becoming more acute as the basic building block in gathering evidence. And whilst I was very excited to be passed clients of my own, I'm now juggling an increasing load of cases.

I can still take comfort, though, as a trainee... my juggling efforts look small time compared to the 100+ files the 2nd year trainees and NQs have on their desks.

No comments:

Post a Comment