Tuesday 20 October 2009

Insurance companies

Spoke to a claims handler at an insurance company, the defender in an action. He was mightily upset that I'd raised proceedings against him. He said, after all, he only had 2 letters on file from us! He was genuinely aggrieved and annoyed.

I explained to him that the first letter (sent months and months ago) was just to bring them into the picture and give them a chance to respond. When I had heard nothing, I sent the second letter, giving them 14 days. Then when I heard nothing, I raised it.

(What would he like me to do? Tell the client "Oh, the insurance company has ignored us, let's just forget all about it! How many letters did he want - and how many more would he have ignored?)

He was very angry about that. He accused me of just trying to get the most money for my client (he really said that... as if!). I was quite calm (I think it's easy to be calm when you're the one who has initiated things) and he became quite agitated. In the end he said "I'm not going to get into an argument with you" (who was arguing?). And then "I'M PASSING IT TO MY SOLICITORS" (like it was a big threat). Great - perhaps they'll be more professional!

No comments:

Post a Comment